A wisdom teeth procedure may create nervousness and anxiety for some patients; however, it is important for the future of your oral health. As leaders in the oral surgery field, Oral and Facial Surgeons of Arizona routinely performs wisdom teeth procedures. We have had tremendous success in minimizing discomfort before, during, and after the procedure. With two offices in the Phoenix Metro area to choose from, a comfortable wisdom teeth procedure has never been more convenient.
Preparing for the Procedure
When you’re getting ready for your procedure, it is natural to be apprehensive – but know that you’re in capable hands. We will do our best to maintain a calm atmosphere to help you relax. Before the procedure, we will discuss choices for anesthesia and provide general instructions to follow the day before your appointment.
During the Procedure
When you arrive, our skilled staff will make you feel secure and comfortable, as well as answer any questions for you. We will review your precise surgical plans once more before administering anesthesia.
Recovering After the Procedure
Initial healing from a wisdom teeth procedure occurs over the first three to five days. Following the postoperative directions from your surgeon will decrease any complications, such as infections or dry sockets. You can expect to experience the following after the procedure:
• Various levels of discomfort. Your surgeon may prescribe painkillers, such as Vicodin or oxycodone. You can also combine ibuprofen and Tylenol if you do not want to take narcotics.
• Swollen cheeks. Expect the swelling to get worse before it gets better, which often peaks between 48 and 72 hours. It should resolve within a week.
• Bleeding. You may experience occasional bleeding the day or two after. Biting on gauze for 15 to 30 minutes will stop it. You can also bite on a moist tea bag. The natural constrictors in it will control bleeding.
• Eating. A liquid diet is suggested for the first 24 hours, but avoid using a straw because the suction can loosen the blood clots. After that, a soft foods diet should be followed for four to five days.
• Oral hygiene. It is ok to brush and floss very gently around the surgical sites. Do not rinse during the first 24 hours. After that, warm salt water rinses will clean the area.
Other recommendations include minimizing smoking, alcohol and gum chewing to rest the muscles as much as possible.
At Oral and Facial Surgeons of Arizona, we understand that comfort, outstanding care, and expertise are important for a successful wisdom teeth procedure. Contact our highly skilled team today in Arcadia at 602-957-0332 or the East Valley at 480-820-7400 to schedule an appointment.